Assistant Farm Manager – 2012
Small Ones Farm is 63-acre family-owned farm in South Amherst, MA. We have a 5-acre orchard (apples, peaches, Asian pears, plums), 750 row feet of raspberries (open-air and high tunnel), and .5 acre of melons, pumpkins and garlic. We also press our own apple cider, make our own apple cider vinegar, and we sell pies made with our fruit. We use natural growing methods (holistic and certified through the Certified Naturally Grown program). Our primary sales outlets are our 83-member fruit CSA and our on-farm farm stand. Livestock includes a flock of laying hens, brooding chicks, a 750 lb. pet Yorkshire pig, and a barn cat. Our pig is expecting piglets in February, so we may have 8-10 additional young pigs on the farm this summer. We also run a summer farm camp for young children and host school groups in the fall. We offer community service projects for high school students and college-credit internships in collaboration with UMass, Amherst. Check out our website for more information about our farm- www.smallonesfarm.com. We seek an Assistant Farm Manager to help manage and operate all aspects of production, production control and distribution.
ü Orchard maintenance, including thinning, epicormic pruning, tracking insects/disease, mowing.
ü Maintain melon/pumpkin/garlic and berry crops (watering, weeding)
ü Livestock maintenance including care of brooding chicks, laying hens, pig and piglets.
ü Infrastructure repair and maintenance, including construction of high tunnel in spring.
ü Tractor operation.
ü Harvest of all crops.
ü Participate in summer farm camp and school group visits.
ü Assist in planning, preparation and distributions for CSA.
ü Assist in management of farm stand/farm shop operations.
ü Clean up/winterize orchard and farm.
ü Participate in strategic planning and management of farm operations.
ü Supervise college interns and community service groups.
Dates: April 1 through December 15, 2012.
Days/hours: Monday through Friday, with some Saturdays in the fall during CSA distributions. Hours vary from 40-50/week.
Application deadline: February 15, 2012.
Minimum qualifications: At least one (preferably 2-3) years of farming experience, preferably organic farming. Values consistent with organic, environmentally sustainable operation, dedicated to high-quality products, and committed customer service. Enthusiasm, initiative, solid interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, ability to supervise and motivate others, and good humor are required. Also required is ability to lift 50 lbs. and valid driver’s license. We are a non-smoking farm.
Wage/Salary/Benefits: $1500/mo stipend, farm produce.
Application requirements: Please send resume, letter of interest, and names/contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about this position, please contact us via email or at (413) 253-6788. We will contact qualified applicants to schedule a farm visit and interview.
Nutritional Analyst/Farm-to-School (F2S) Coordinator
The Weston Public Schools seeks a Nutritional Analyst/Farm-to-School (F2S) Coordinator to maintain the district’s nutritional database and coordinate the Farm-to-School program and implement green initiatives in the cafeterias. The essential duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date ingredient and price database of all products used in the cafeterias;
- Standardize recipes for nutrition, portion and cost control;
- Perform nutrient analysis on all menued items and post on the website;
- Proactively collaborate with nursing staff to assure nutrient and allergen information is communicated on a timely and accurate basis
- Participate in professional development opportunities to enhance job skills and stay current on nutrition regulations; and
- Generate and print production and recipe worksheets daily for all kitchens.
Farm-to-School and Green Initiatives
- Coordinate, sustain and expand Farm-to-School (F2S) program through the sourcing of local farms and local foods;
- Collaborate with other Metro West communities to develop collaborative purchasing agreements around locally grown produce;
- Initiate taste testing of locally grown items throughout the district on a monthly basis;
- Assist schools in the ordering, processing and serving of local foods (local food directories, seasonal food guides, local food recipes, order forms, etc.);
- Organize monthly events to highlight locally-grown products (apple week, Food Day events, etc.) system wide;
- Collaborate with Principals and Leadership Team members to develop partnerships between the classroom and local farms to promote nutrition and wellness;
- Act as point person to the Community and District Green Teams for all food service related items;
- Seek grant funds to advance Weston’s F2S program and sustainability efforts;
- Create and maintain school garden(s); Oversee the cafeterias composting, recycling and sustainability efforts; and
- Perform all other assignments as directed by the Food Service Director or his/her designee.
This position works 7.5 hours per day, 220 days per year. The position will require some non-standard work hours including nights and weekends. We are looking for someone with a college degree in agriculture and/or nutrition. Experience in nutrition education in a K-12 school system, garden creation and maintenance. Grant writing experience a benefit. Ability to obtain certification in food safety and sanitation within 6 months of hire date; and demonstrated interest working with children in a school environment. Salary range: $30,000 – $35,000, plus benefits.
If you are interested, please send a cover letter, resume, two letters of reference to:
Weston Public Schools
89 Wellesley Street
Weston, MA 02493
JOB DESCRIPTION: The VISTA volunteer will work in Western Massachusetts to increase enrollment in the SNAP program of vulnerable, hard to reach residents. The VISTA will work with community partners, volunteers, and Food Bank member agencies to increase opportunities for enrollment and access to SNAP benefits. The position includes coordinative and administrative responsibilities along with supervision of volunteers.
Farm Internship – Cohasset, MA
Description: Holly Hill Farm is a 5 acre certified organic vegetable, flower and herb farm in Cohasset, MA, about an hour south of Boston. We grow a wide variety of crops to supply our farm stand, the Cohasset farmers’ market and a few local restaurants.
Details: We are seeking one apprentice to join us mid-May through September. Applicants must be physically capable of the long hours and hard work that farming requires and emotionally capable of maintaining a sense of humor in the midst of heat waves and crop failures. Prior farming or gardening and tractor experience would be great but is not required. Must not be shy of responsibility, capable of working alone, but also enjoy working together with others.
Compensation: $150/ week with a raise half way through, and a bonus for staying through to the end of your commitment, as well seasonal produce and eggs from our chickens. Housing and some shared meals are included.
Contact Fred Beddall: email@example.com