Assistant Farm manager (pursuing a Farm Career)
Yellow Stonehouse Farm is a 55 acre vegetable and Hay forage operation located on the Manhan River in North Westfield at the Southampton town line 16 miles from Northampton Center. We have a CSA and some retail markets servicing Hampden county.
Assistant Manager position works directly with owners, and some previous farm experience is required. Work week is 5 day schedule (days off are Wednesday and Sunday) pay rate of $11.00 to $12.00 to start based on experience with 1 week paid vacation. Start date of May.
Responsibilities include: Field work, transplanting, weeding, crew supervision and motivation.
Other tasks include, supervision of PYO, greenhouse duties, preparing CSA distributions, washing produce, and any task required to make the farm run smoothly.
Email email@example.com attention John
Urban Farm Coordinator – Worcester, MA
New Lands Farm, a project of Lutheran Social Services (LSS), seeks an Urban Farm Coordinator to support an exciting new project that engages recently resettled refugees in growing food for their families and the community in Worcester, MA. LSS is a non-profit, refugee resettlement organization that provides refugees with the support and guidance needed to achieve economic self-sufficiency, community integration and a better future.
About the position
The Urban Farm Coordinator will help manage our Educational Agriculture Training Center (EAT Center), which is a small urban incubator farm in the Main South area of Worcester, MA. The EAT Center is a partnership between LSS, Worcester Regional Environmental Council, Worcester Common Ground, and the Worcester Mayor’s Office. The project vision is to train urban, new American farmers how to grow and market organic produce cultivated on previously vacant lots throughout the city. We are operating one site so far, and look forward to developing a second soon. The position is 15 hours per week, $12.50 per hour, and runs for 25 weeks beginning in April.
The Urban Farm Coordinator will support the New Lands Farm Program Specialist and urban farmers in the following ways:
- Overall coordination of 1/8 acre urban farm site for supplies, maintenance, and infrastructure developments/ improvements
- Organize farmers for trainings and classes on organic agriculture and marketing
- Mentor three farmers in planting, seeding and production
- Oversee harvest and post harvest handling with farmers
- Assist in technical assistance and other farmers concerns
- Complete bi-weekly one-on-one visits with farmers with written notes
- Complete monthly site assessments
- Aid in researching and establishing a second urban farm site as time allows
- Document the farmers experience and season through photos and postings for website and facebook
- Demonstrate background in growing and selling organic produce
- Experience growing food in an urban environment is preferred
- 1-2 years experience working for similar program/farm or degree in agriculture a plus
- Experience teaching is a plus
- Comfortable working with people of diverse backgrounds and different English levels
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record, personal vehicle preferred
- Strong record keeping, organization and computer skills
- Team player who can work independently as needed
- Creative problem solver
- Construction and mechanical skills are a plus
If interested, please forward your resume and cover letter to Agricultural Program Specialist Ashley Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit our website for more information: http://www.lssne.org/newlandsfarm.