Enrollment is open for fall semester classes!
The UMass Stockbridge School of Agriculture is the only program in the U.S. that offers 26 online classes that may be taken either individually or toward completion of one of our three academic programs. We offer:
- a 15-credit Certificate Program and,
- a 60-credit Associate of Science degree and
- a fully online 120-credit B.S. degree.
These online credits may also be transfered to other universities and colleges. For a preview of all of our courses, see: Annual Online Class Schedule. And for the courses that are currently open to enroll, see below.
Fall Semester Online Classes
- STOCKSCH 106 – Soil Science and Management
- STOCKSCH 108 – Intro to Botany (4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 119 – Building a Sustainable Homestead
- STOCKSCH 166 – Practical Beekeeping
- STOCKSCH 280 – Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants (new GenEd-BS – 4 cr)
- STOCKSCH 269 – Small Farm Husbandry: Pigs and Poultry (new)
- STOCKSCH 320 – Organic Vegetable Production
- STOCKSCH 290 M – Integrated Pest Management
- STOCKSCH 497 D – Sustainable Site Design Studio (2 cr)
Amd to begin planning for the future, see….
We are working on adding these courses to our online class schedule…and please let us know if there is a topic you would like to see included!
- Hemp Production
- Small Farm Husbandry: Cow, Goat and Sheep for meat production
- The Future of Food
- Plant Breeding and Genetics
- On Farm Trials and Experimentation
- Farm to Glass (Growing and Producing Beer, Wine, Hard Cider, Mead and Spirits)
- Energy on the Farm
- Sustainable Fisheries
- Carbon Farming Solutions for Climate Change
- Hydroponics and Aquaponics
- Urban Agriculture
If you have suggestions for courses you want to take, please contact Renee Ciulla.
NOTE: The UMass Sustainable Food and Farming Certificate has been declared eligible for Veterans Educational Benefits. For instructions see: Veterans Benefits.
COST: The online classes in the Stockbridge School of Agriculture cost $482 per credit. Students accepted into the Associate of Science degree may have access to financial aid. For more information, see: Financial Aid.
International Students Welcome: Since this program is fully online there are no visas required, and therefore no barriers for any international student to apply and take classes. Keep in mind that if a student would like to come to campus to participate in a commencement, or other type of formal meeting, they would need to do so on a visitor’s visa, not a student visa.
Other Options: If you are interested in a graduate level online Certificate, please see the Tufts University program. If you are not interested in earning college credit, there are many non-credited workshops and short courses you can take outside of the university. For a list see: non-university workshops and courses.