This blog was created by the students in PLSOILIN 265 – Sustainable Agriculture class during the fall semester, 2011. Our purpose is to celebrate the many individuals, families and small businesses that contribute to the “nation of farmers” in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachuchusetts.
Students were asked to interview someone they admire or want to get to know better, asking some of the following questions:
- What do you do?
- How did you get here?
- How do you stay motivated?
- What obstacles (if any) have you had to overcome?
- How would you describe your network of people/support?
- Web links to organization/business/farm etc.
This blog is the result!
This project was partially inspired by three incredible women who joined us in class to discuss their own work and lives. They were (from left to right in the photo):
- Michelle Chandler, who raises backyard livestock in Amherst, MA
- Sharon Astyk, the author of one of the best books on the future of farming we know, A Nation of Farmers
- Kathy Harrison, author of Just in Case, a guide to sustainable living
Thanks so much to thsee three amazing women and the many local heroes who agreed to be interviewed.