The Stockbridge School of Agriculture is seeking applications for a Student Forest Garden Manager to manage all aspects of the Forest Garden at the UMass Agricultural Learning Center (ALC) this season. The Forest Garden is a 2 year old 1/4 acre garden located at the ALC with the following goals and objectives.
- A permaculture demonstration garden and an aesthetically-pleasing leisure place for the university and
- A site for active and hands-on learning by students and community members where workshops and classes are held.
- The Food Forest produces an abundance of food and medicinals for the community and to be donated to those in need.
- The Food Forest is a place of opportunity where students, faculty, and other individuals make a connection to where food comes from and begins to understand a new type of agriculture which works with natural systems.
- Pre-season, 3-5hrs/week (Late April): Assisting with irrigation planning and ram pump irrigation workshop. Working with other land managers either with the UMass Student Farm or Food For All garden to market or donate food from the food
- Summer Season, 15 hrs/week (May-Sept)- Establish irrigation system, mulching and weeding existing beds, sheet mulching existing plantings, establish understory plantings, labeling,
- Fall Season, 3-5 hrs/week (Sept-late Oct/early Nov) hosting UMass permaculture classes for workdays, harvest & deliver fall crops, prepare garden for winter
Compensation for is $12/hr.
- Current UMass Sustainable Food & Farming student with at least 1 of the following completed courses permaculture course (Intro to Permaculture or Permaculture Design and Practice)
- Experience with establishing and caring for perennial food systems either with UMass Permaculture Initiative or other small farm or landscaping experience
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Ability to work independently in the field
- Commit to 15 hours/week
- PDC Certificate holder
- Prior coordinating or leadership position with UMass Permaculture Initiative or equivalent.
To Apply: Send Lisa DePiano a copy of your resume with 2 professional or academic references and a paragraph describing your interest & qualifications at: email@example.com by Friday March 31 st 2017.